Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Got Questions? We Might Have Answers!


Some of you may have questions as you read "OKC Second Time Around," or may want to know more about how we compiled this story.
We welcome your questions. Just leave a comment on this post or others, and we'll do our best to answer.

Interesting questions to date:
1. What do you think was the most viable building destroyed during Urban Renewal?
Answer: (Steve) Probably either the Criterion or Baum Building. Both were architecturally unique and stunning, both would have been very attractive candidates for restoration as tax laws and financing became more friendly to historic preservation in the early 1980s. Both were torn down to make way for one of the biggest failures of the Urban Renewal era - the Century Center Plaza.

2. What inspired you to write this book?
Answer: Insanity. Steve and Jack were hearing conflicting stories of who thought up the Bricktown Canal in the weeks leading up to its opening. It was then the pair of Oklahoman reporters realized they were witnessing history.

3. What stories stand out the most in OKC Second Time Around?
Answer: For Steve, it's the tale of how Neal Horton gambled everything to develop Bricktown and lost everything. For Jack, it's how close MAPS came to not even being submitted to voters.

3 comments:

Doug Dawg said...

Ok. Here's a tough one (for me, at least). I've just finished my Deep Deuce 2nd part (of 3) and I've looked and looked but can't find a pic of Douglass School (exterior) before it moved to NE 6th & High ... I understand that this is WAY beyond the pale of your great book which begins circa 1956 ... but ... I'll gladly accept any references!

Anonymous said...

I know I've seen it in the past. Here are some good places to check with:
Oklahoma Historical Society archives division (if you've not visited, you'll have a difficult time leaving).
Anita Arnold/BLAC Inc. She published a book a few years back about Deep Deuce. You might find it still for sale at Charlie's Records, Classen and NW 50th.
Vanished Splendor series.

Doug Dawg said...

Ok. Got my pics of Douglass School, though I'd like some better.

More, I'd value your comments on my Oklhaoma Rising "flash" file, the 1st flash file I've made. I'm sure it needs work, and you guys would be the ones to give objective help, if you have time and/or inclination.

Link: Oklahoma Rising.